INSTRUCTIONS: First complete the pretest. After you finish, check your
answers with the pretest solutions on the next page.
ASR is the abbreviation for _______________________________________.
2. By referring to the radarscope, the ASR controller can determine the
range and _______________ of the aircraft. The ASR scope does NOT show
the controller ____________________ of the aircraft.
3. ASR can detect aircraft within a radius of ______ nautical miles
(NM) from the airport.
4. Under VFR conditions, the aviator should normally request a practice
GCA approach to the _________________________.
6. What methods can the ASR controller use to identify aircraft on his
scope? Give at least two methods.
7. Before the ASR final approach pattern, the aviator should execute a
lost-communication procedure if he does not receive a transmission from
the controller for a period of ____________.
8. On ASR final approach, the aviator should execute a lost-
communication procedure (missed approach) if he does not receive a
transmission from the controller for a period of ____________.
In addition to approaches, the other uses for ASR are--
10. If aircraft are less than 40 NM from the radar site, the controller
will provide a _______-NM separation between aircraft; at 40 NM and
beyond, the controller must provide a _______-NM separation.